Position: Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications Advertising Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: All advertising staff and volunteers
Term of office: 14 month contract, maternity coverage. Beginning May 2019.
Hours: 35 hours per week.
The WLUSP advertising manager sets and implements the strategic direction for the department and all WLUSP advertising sales initiatives. They are responsible for setting in place sales strategies that will regularly increase revenues to WLUSP, in a way that benefits and supports a student run learning environment. They will liaise with department heads to devise strategies to make each department more financially profitable. The ad manager will be responsible for coordinating all ad sales from sales persons, to artwork production, to final placement in appropriate media products and providing clients with run sheets and proof of on air advertising after the fact.
The Advertising Manager is responsible for maintaining a client base and soliciting new advertisers as well as liaising with the appropriate managers and editors to ensure client satisfaction. The advertising manager will oversee all advertising staff and volunteers and ensure they have adequate training and resources to complete their jobs. The advertising manager will ensure revenues expectations are met or exceeded and where they do not, devise new strategies to ensure they are.
- Sell, and oversee salespeople to sell, WLUSP advertising products to clients in all markets
- Solicit, or oversee salespeople to solicit, new advertisers and maintaining a list of current contacts with past advertising clients
- Develop new advertising initiatives to increase ad sales across all WLUSP advertising platforms
- Maintain a good working relationship with all past advertisers
- Liaise with contracted advertising agencies and ensure contracted ads are placed and delivered to client expectations as well as the standards of WLUSP
- Ensure proper placement of ads across all platforms
- Ensure quality of ad products meet all standards and expectations of both WLUSP and the client
- Ensure design and proofing of all ads created in house
- Attend all staff meetings and come prepared to present and discuss advertising results and initiatives
- Attend all board meetings when requested by the Executive Director or the Chair of the Board
- Oversee and ensure proper delivery of all products to ensure that client standards are met
- Ensure that all tear sheets, run sheets and subscription mail outs are processed and kept up to date
- Liaise with the WLUSP Finance manager to monitor accounts receivable and ensure that outstanding accounts are contacted and collections are made
- Coordinate with all events staff and oversee any sponsorship or advertising solicitation
- Manage and oversee all advertising staff
- Liaise and work with distribution staff to ensure all products are distributed in areas that are advantageous to advertisers
- Any other reasonable task required by the employer
- Must have a minimum 2 years working in sales or related field
- Must have some managerial experience
- Must have some college or university
- Must be interested and willing to work with student aged volunteers and staff in a student run organization
Further skills that would be an asset:
- Knowledge of any or all of the Waterloo, Brantford and WLU communities
- Some knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Customer
- Relationship Software and / or audio production
- Formal training in advertising or sales
Compensation: $30,000 base salary + commission (Expected total compensation $38,000.00 / year)
Applications are due by 11:59 pm April 25, 2019.
Please send a cover letter and resume in a single PDF to email@example.com. We appreciate and will review all applications but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.