Job Title: Editor-in-Chief, Blueprint Magazine
Reports To: President and Publisher.
Supervises: Blueprint Magazine management, staff, and volunteers.
Term of Office: May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022, for approximately 15 hours/week.
Hired by the President/Publisher, the Blueprint Magazine Editor-in-Chief is responsible for overseeing production of Blueprint on a monthly basis and ensuring all deadlines are met. The EIC hires and supervises the work of all Blueprint staff and volunteers.
A publication’s department head is responsible for ensuring the production of their publication and, where applicable, their publication’s website. They are responsible for maintaining deadlines, overseeing production, maintaining consistent quality, preventing any instance of libel or plagiarism, preparing budgets, and managing staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for hiring the management team and overseeing the hiring process for general volunteers
- Ensure all volunteers are properly oriented and trained
- Meet regularly with management team
- Manage all direct report staff and ensure the effective supervision of all staff and volunteers
- Ensure that all Blueprint staff and volunteers are informed of and compliant with WLUSP policy and code of conduct, etc.
- Facilitate regular professional development activities for Blueprint staff and volunteers
- Oversee and participate in activities undertaken to recruit and orient new Blueprint staff and volunteers
- Conduct mid-year reviews with members of the management team
- Prepare and manage Blueprint’s budget
- Attend all staff meetings unless due warning is provided to the President
- Attend all meetings and conferences as required by the the President
- Ensure that Blueprint Magazine is sent to the printer on time
- Responsible for the overall production of Blueprint Magazine and blueprintmagazine.ca
- Manages and oversees all uses or representation of the Blueprint logo or brand
- Prepare reports for the Board of Directors (BOD) as required by the BOD or President
- Prepare a year-end transition report for the next EIC of Blueprint Magazine
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the President/Publisher.
About the Role:
This role gives you the opportunity to grow your professional skills and challenge yourself in an environment focused on growth and development by creating high-quality products that are enjoyed by the Laurier and Brantford community.
This position will provide a great opportunity to build experience in media, student journalism and creative fields, and allow you the chance to be a part of one of the most inclusive, friendly, and fun organizations on the Laurier campus.
If this sounds like the type of position you’d like to apply to, please send an email to email@example.com with the following requirements:
- Subject line “Blueprint Magazine Application: Editor-in-Chief”
- Resume (1 page, PDF)
- Platform (30-page maximum, PDF)
A platform is your vision for the upcoming year. Include your goals for the publication, your experience/what you’ll bring to the role, departmental structure, capital asset improvements and any details you feel should be included in your document
- Clearly state your name, year of study, contact information and the position you are applying for on a cover page
- Clearly label the sections of your platform
- In your platform, clearly outline all positions and roles within the publication you are applying for. As well, clearly state any changes you wish to implement within those positions or roles if applicable
Applications for this position will be due on Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. We appreciate and will review all applications, but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.*
If the position is still vacant after the first hiring period concludes, applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Upon applying for the position, if successful, you will be contacted by Aaron Waitson, the President and Publisher, to set an interview date/time.
*Applicants who apply before Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. will be considered before those who apply after the deadline.