Job Title: Station Manager, Radio Laurier
Reports To: President and Publisher
Supervises: Radio Laurier Management, DJ’s and General Volunteers.
Term of Office: May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022, for 35 hours/week, salaried.
Hired by the President and Publisher, the Radio Laurier Station Manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of Radio Laurier. The Station Manager hires and supervises the work of all Radio Laurier volunteers.
A publication’s department head is responsible for ensuring the production of their publication and, where applicable, their publication’s website. They are responsible for maintaining deadlines, overseeing production, maintaining consistent quality, preventing any instance of libel or plagiarism, preparing budgets, and managing staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that content is being created and broadcasted by volunteers and staff on the Radio Laurier website on a consistent and regular basis, while maintaining a high quality of work within those broadcasted shows
- Responsible for hiring management team and overseeing the hiring process for general volunteers
- Ensure volunteers are oriented and trained
- Meet regularly with management team
- Manage all direct report staff and ensure the effective supervision of all staff and volunteers
- Ensure that Radio Laurier volunteers are informed of and complying with policy, code of conduct, etc.
- Facilitate regular professional development activities for Radio Laurier volunteers
- Oversee and participate in activities undertaken to recruit and orient new Radio Laurier staff and volunteers, such as boothing and workshops
- Conduct mid-year reviews for Management team and assist the Management team with preparing mid-year reviews for DJs
- Prepare and manage the Radio Laurier department budget for President and Board approval
- Attend all staff meetings unless due warning is provided to the President
- Attend all meetings and conferences as required by the President or Executive Director
- Work with the President to complete a Strategic Plan for Radio Laurier to be presented to the Board of Directors for approval at the last BOD meeting of the fiscal year
- Prepare a year-end transition report for the incoming Radio Laurier Station Manager
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the President and Publisher
About the Role:
This role gives you the opportunity to grow your professional skills and challenge yourself in an environment focused on growth and development by creating high-quality products that are enjoyed by the Laurier and Brantford community.
This position will provide a great opportunity to build experience in media, student journalism and creative fields, and allow you the chance to be a part of one of the most inclusive, friendly, and fun organizations on the Laurier campus.
If this sounds like the type of position you’d like to apply to, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following requirements:
- Subject line “Radio Laurier Application: Station Manager”
- Resume (1 page, PDF)
- Platform (30-page maximum, PDF)
A platform is your vision for the upcoming year. Include your goals for the publication, your experience/what you’ll bring to the role, departmental structure, capital asset improvements and any details you feel should be included in your document
- Clearly state your name, year of study, contact information and the position you are applying for on a cover page
- Clearly label the sections of your platform
- In your platform, clearly outline all positions and roles within the publication you are applying for. As well, clearly state any changes you wish to implement within those positions or roles if applicable
Applications for this position will be due on Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. We appreciate and will review all applications, but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.*
If the position is still vacant after the first hiring period concludes, applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Upon applying for the position, if successful, you will be contacted by Aaron Waitson, the President and Publisher, to set an interview date/time.
*Applicants who apply before Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. will be considered before those who apply after the deadline.