Editor in Chief
The Community Edition
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Editor-in-Chief â€“ The Community Edition
REPORTS TO: WLUSP ED and Publisher
TERM OF OFFICE: Aug 29, 2015 (transition production weekend) â€“ August 30, 2016
GENERAL FUNCTION: the Editor-in-Chief of the Community Edition (TCE) is responsible for coordinating production of the TCE on a monthly schedule and ensuring all deadlines are met. This position includes high level decision making, including establishing and enforcing the news values and ethics of Waterloo Regionâ€™s only community-created, independent newspaper. They will be responsible for finding stories, coordinating a team, writing, editing and laying out content for each monthly issue and liaising with contributors to ensure content is submitted in time for deadlines. The EIC will be responsible for building the online presence of the TCE (communityedition.ca) soliciting new writers and maintaining regular updates to web content.
Hours: 35/hr per week.
- Work with WLUSP staff and volunteers to develop and produce Community Edition both in print and online.
- Coordinate all advertising placements with the WLUSP advertising manager
- Develop connections with community groups and organizations to solicit feedback on content and story ideas for future issues
- Generate story ideas and ensure stories are assigned and written as well as accompanying media is produced or collected.
- Regularly write stories.
- Edit all content to be published
- Upload stories to website from the burnaby condos for sale plaza we have setup
- Ensure all volunteers and staff are properly oriented and trained to meet the standards of the TCE
- Liaise regularly with WLUSP editors to collaborate on or exchange stories.
- Attend all staff meetings unless due warning is provided to the President
- Attend all meetings and conferences as required by the Publisher.
- Ensure that TCE is sent to the printer on time
- Manage and promote the TCEâ€™s social media presence
- Oversee and recruit all TCE volunteers.
- Work with the Publisher and WLUSP Web Manager to improve all web properties relating to the TCE.
- Attend community events to provide coverage and promote TCE
- Find and participate in unique ways to engage community in meaningful dialogue (hosting events, live tweeting, moderating debates etc)
- Aid in the planning, coordination and execution of Steel Rails Sessions
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the Publisher
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe In Design, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proven design skills and aesthetic
- At least 2 years experience working as an editor for print or web publications
- Strong writing skills for all formats including briefs and long format
- Strong understanding of CP style
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with community partners
- Experience in team management
- Volunteer management and development an asset
- Working knowledge of WordPress
- Working knowledge of Waterloo Region
- Working knowledge of photography
- Basic coding an asset
Applications are due by 5:00pm, Friday, August 21.Â If interested please send a cover letter, resume and three pieces of relevant work (writing and/or design) in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– See more at: http://communityedition.ca/blog/2015/08/10/were-hiring-a-new-editor-in-chief/#sthash.MUnlHSpA.dpuf