*A publication’s department head is responsible for ensuring the production of their publication and, where applicable, their publication’s website. They are responsible for maintaining deadlines, overseeing production, maintaining consistent quality, preventing any instance of libel or plagiarism, preparing budgets, and managing staff and volunteers.
Reports To: President, Executive Director
Supervises: Laurier Student Poll Volunteers
Term of Office: Start date dependant on hiring process, but expected September 5, 2019 until April 30, 2020 for 15 hrs/week. Compensation to be determined at a later date.
Hired by the President/Publisher, the LSP Director is responsible for overseeing LSP functions including, but not limited to, research, analysis, promotion and planning, and ensuring all deadlines are met. The Co-Director hires and supervises the work of all LSP staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for hiring and overseeing all LSP volunteers
- Ensure all volunteers are properly oriented and trained
- Meet regularly with department heads to strategize and plan
- Manage all direct report staff and ensure the effective supervision of all staff and volunteers
- Ensure that all LSP staff and volunteers are informed of and compliant with WLUSP policy and code of conduct, etc.
- Facilitate regular professional development activities for LSP staff and volunteers
- Oversee and participate in activities undertaken to recruit and orient new LSP staff and volunteers
- Prepare and manage LSP’s budget
- Attend all staff meetings unless due warning is provided to the President
- Attend all meetings and conferences as required by the President
- Ensure that deadlines are met
- Responsible for the overall research and analysis within LSP and laurierstudentpoll.ca
- Manages and oversees all uses or representation of the LSP logo or brand
- Prepare reports for the BOD as required by the BOD or President
- Prepare a year-end transition report for the next LSP Director or Co-Directors
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the President
About the Role:
Laurier Student Poll, a subsidiary of Wilfrid Laurier University Student Publications (WLUSP), is a market research group focusing on student public opinion and consumer behaviour at Laurier. The group was founded in late 2011 and launched its first research project in January 2012 with the Student Union (WLUSU) presidential election. They survey students using in-person interviews, with questions customized to client needs. Using studies of approximately 300 to 600 respondents, they publish official findings reports for stakeholders and release additional analyses online.
This role gives you the opportunity to grow your professional skills and challenge yourself in an environment focused on growth and development by creating high-quality products that are enjoyed by the Laurier and Waterloo community. The position of Director provides a great opportunity to build experience in the fields of quantitative market research, skill development, networking, and reporting and analytics, and allows you the chance to be apart of one of the most inclusive, friendly, and fun organizations on the Laurier campus.
For more information on Laurier Student Poll, visit https://laurierstudentpoll.ca/.
If this sounds like the type of position you’d like to apply to, please send an email to email@example.com with the following requirements:
- Subject line “Laurier Student Poll Application: Director”
- Resume (1 page, PDF)
- Platform (10-page maximum, PDF)
A platform is your vision for the upcoming year. Include your goals for the publication, your experience/what you’ll bring to the role, departmental structure, capital asset improvements and any details you feel should be included in your document
- Clearly state your name, year of study, contact information and the position you are applying for on a cover page
- Clearly label the sections of your platform
- In your platform, clearly outline all positions and roles within the publication you are applying for. As well, clearly state any changes you wish to implement within those positions or roles if applicable
We appreciate and will review all applications, but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.*
Upon applying for the position, if successful, you will be contacted by Aaron Hagey, the President and Publisher, to set an interview date/time.
*Though the application process is ongoing, applicants who apply before Friday, November 8 at 5:00 p.m. will be considered before those who apply later.