Position Description: Editor-in-Chief – The Community Edition
Reports To: WLUSP Executive Director and Publisher
Hours: 35 hours per week
General Function: the Editor-in-Chief of the Community Edition (TCE) is responsible for coordinating production of the TCE on a monthly schedule and ensuring all deadlines are met. This position includes high level decision making, including establishing and enforcing the news values and ethics of Waterloo Region’s only community-created, independent newspaper. They will be responsible for finding stories, coordinating a team, writing, editing and laying out content for each monthly issue and liaising with contributors to ensure content is submitted in time for deadlines. The EIC will be responsible for building the online presence of the TCE (communityedition.ca) soliciting new writers and maintaining regular updates to web content.
- Work with WLUSP staff and volunteers to develop and produce Community Edition both in print and online.
- Coordinate all advertising placements with the WLUSP advertising manager
- Develop connections with community groups and organizations to solicit feedback on content and story ideas for future issues
- Generate story ideas and ensure stories are assigned and written as well as accompanying media is produced or collected.
- Regularly write stories.
- Edit all content to be published
- Upload stories to website
- Ensure all volunteers and staff are properly oriented and trained to meet the standards of the TCE
- Liaise regularly with WLUSP editors to collaborate on or exchange stories.
- Attend all staff meetings unless due warning is provided to the President
- Attend all meetings and conferences as required by the Publisher.
- Ensure that TCE is sent to the printer on time
- Manage and promote the TCE’s social media presence
- Oversee and recruit all TCE volunteers.
- Work with the Publisher and WLUSP Web Manager to improve all web properties relating to the TCE.
- Attend community events to provide coverage and promote TCE
- Find and participate in unique ways to engage community in meaningful dialogue (hosting events, live tweeting, moderating debates etc)
- Aid in the planning, coordination and execution of Steel Rails Sessions
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the Publisher