Job Title: Human Resources Manager, WLUSP
Reports to: President and Executive Director
Term of office: September 1, 2021, to April 30, 2022, for 15 hours per week, salaried.
Hired by the President and Executive Director, the Human Resources Manager oversees all HR practices within WLU Student Publications and acts as a resource for volunteers and managers when needed.
Additional Requirements: In order to be hired to the position of HR Manager, the candidate must be a student who is currently, or was recently, enrolled at Wilfrid Laurier University
- Assist department heads with the hiring of general volunteers
- Maintain centralized volunteer files
- Ensure orientation of new volunteers to WLUSP and their specific department
- Ensure new volunteers have received an orientation package
- Ensure new volunteers have read policy, signed code of conduct and any other pertinent documents
- Assist the President with discipline and termination when necessary
- Act as a resource surrounding human resource issues or concerns for volunteers and staff members
- Maintain regular office hours
- Attend all staff meetings, conferences and other events as required by the President
- Maintain communication with members of Brantford Administration surrounding human resources in Brantford
- Liaise with members of Brantford Administration to ensure adherence to policy and procedures and proper file management.
- Oversee recruitment of volunteers on campus
- Ensure that departments are planning for their succession
- Ensure WLUSP’s compliance with the Ontario Employment Standards, Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Maintain an up-to-date mass volunteer list for WLUSP
- Assist the Executive Director and the President with the maintenance of volunteer emails
- Assist the Vice-Chair with the President’s mid-year review
- Assist the President with the Executive Director’s mid-year review
- Prepare a transition report for the position of HR Manager
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the President or the Executive Director
If this sounds like the type of position you’d like to apply to, please send an email to email@example.com with the following requirements:
- Subject line “WLUSP Application: Human Resources Manager”
- Resume (1 page, PDF)
- Platform (30-page maximum, PDF)
A platform is your vision for the upcoming year. Include your goals for the publication, your experience/what you’ll bring to the role, departmental structure, capital asset improvements and any details you feel should be included in your document.
- Clearly state your name, year of study, contact information and the position you are applying for on a cover page
- Clearly label the sections of your platform
- In your platform, clearly outline all positions and roles within the publication you are applying for. As well, clearly state any changes you wish to implement within those positions or roles if applicable
Applications for this position will be due on Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. We appreciate and will review all applications, but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.*
If the position is still vacant after the first hiring period concludes, applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Upon applying for the position, if successful, you will be contacted by Aaron Waitson, the President and Publisher, to set an interview date/time.
*Applicants who apply before Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. will be considered before those who apply after the deadline.