Job Title: Editor-in-Chief, The Keystone
Reports To: President and Publisher
Supervises: The Keystone management staff and volunteers.
Term of Office: May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022, for 15 hrs/week, salaried.
Hired by the President and Publisher, The Keystone Editor-in-Chief is responsible for overseeing the production of The Keystone and ensuring all deadlines are met. The EIC hires and supervises the work of all Keystone volunteers and management. The EIC is involved in every process of the production of the yearbook to ensure that a high-quality product is created.
A publication’s department head is responsible for ensuring the production of their publication and, where applicable, their publication’s website. They are responsible for maintaining deadlines, overseeing production, maintaining consistent quality, preventing any instance of libel or plagiarism, preparing budgets, and managing staff and volunteers.
- Attend regular staff meetings to report progress within the department to other WLUSP department heads
- Facilitate and assist in the acquisition of photos from clubs, associations, events, and activities occurring at or around Laurier for the 2021-2022 period
- Oversee every aspect of the production of The Keystone
- Use Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign to create the yearbook. Ensure publication deadlines are met
- Promote grad photos and yearbook sales to Laurier students
- Hire, orient, train and manage volunteers
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the President and/or the Executive Director
About the Role:
The Keystone is the official student yearbook for the Laurier Waterloo campus. Print issues of the yearbook are distributed to students who wish to purchase a physical copy. A free online copy is also provided to students upon graduation. The Editor-in-Chief will oversee the publication, content, design and upkeep of the yearbook, as well as The Keystone‘s social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and any other relevant platforms.
This role gives you the opportunity to grow your professional skills and challenge yourself in an environment focused on growth and development by creating high-quality products that are enjoyed by the Laurier and Waterloo community. Alumni see The Keystone as a chance to commemorate their achievements, involvements, and memories while in their programs, and acts as a source of Laurier’s student memory.
This position will provide a great opportunity to build experience in media, design, and creative fields, and allows you the chance to be apart of one of the most inclusive, friendly, and fun organizations on the Laurier campus.
If this sounds like the type of position you’d like to apply to, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following requirements:
- Subject line “The Keystone Application: Editor-in-Chief”
- Resume (1 page, PDF)
- Platform (30-page maximum, PDF)
A platform is your vision for the upcoming year. Include your goals for the publication, your experience/what you’ll bring to the role, departmental structure, capital asset improvements and any details you feel should be included in your document
- Clearly state your name, year of study, contact information and the position you are applying for on a cover page
- Clearly label the sections of your platform
- In your platform, clearly outline all positions and roles within the publication you are applying for. As well, clearly state any changes you wish to implement within those positions or roles if applicable
Applications for this position will be due on Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. We appreciate and will review all applications, but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.*
If the position is still vacant after the first hiring period concludes, applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Upon applying for the position, if successful, you will be contacted by Aaron Waitson, the President and Publisher, to set an interview date/time.
*Applicants who apply before Wednesday, March 17 at 5:00 p.m. will be considered before those who apply after the deadline.