Job Title: Director, Laurier Student Poll
Reports To: President/Publisher and Interim Ads Manager
Supervises: Laurier Student Poll volunteers and staff
Term of Office: September 7, 2021 to April 30, 2022, for approximately 10 hrs/week
Hired by the President/Publisher, the Laurier Student Poll Director is responsible for overseeing LSP functions including but not limited to research, analysis, promotion and planning and ensuring all deadlines are met. The Director hires and supervises the work of all LSP staff and volunteers.
A publication’s department head is responsible for ensuring the production of their publication and, where applicable, their publication’s website. They are responsible for maintaining deadlines, overseeing production, maintaining consistent quality, preventing any instance of libel or plagiarism, preparing budgets, and managing staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for hiring and overseeing all Laurier Student Poll (LSP) volunteers and staff
- Ensure all volunteers are properly oriented and trained
- Meet regularly with all staff
- Manage all direct report staff and ensure the effective supervision of all staff and volunteers
- Ensure that all LSP staff and volunteers are informed of and compliant with WLUSP policy and code of conduct, etc.
- Facilitate regular virtual professional development activities for LSP staff and volunteers
- Oversee and participate in activities undertaken to recruit and orient new LSP staff and volunteers
- Prepare and manage LSP’s budget for the following year
- Attend all staff meetings unless due warning is provided to the President
- Attend all meetings and conferences as required by the President or Interim Ads Manager
- Ensure that deadlines are met
- Responsible for the overall research and analysis within LSP and laurierstudentpoll.ca
- Manages and oversees all uses or representation of the LSP logo or brand
- Prepare reports for the BOD as required by the BOD or President
- Prepare a year end transition report for the next LSP Co-Director
- Any other reasonable duties as required by the President or Interim Ads Manager
About the Role:
This role gives you the opportunity to grow your professional skills and challenge yourself in an environment focused on growth and development by creating high-quality products that are enjoyed by the Laurier and Brantford community.
This position will provide a great opportunity to build experience in media, student journalism and creative fields, and allow you the chance to be a part of one of the most inclusive, friendly, and fun organizations on the Laurier campus.
If this sounds like the type of position you’d like to apply to, please send an email to email@example.com with the following requirements:
- Subject line “Laurier Student Poll Application: Director”
- Resume (1 page, PDF)
- Platform (20-page maximum, PDF)
A platform is your vision for the upcoming year. Include your goals for the publication, your experience/what you’ll bring to the role, departmental structure, capital asset improvements and any details you feel should be included in your document
- Clearly state your name, year of study, contact information and the position you are applying for on a cover page
- Clearly label the sections of your platform
- In your platform, clearly outline all positions and roles within the publication you are applying for. As well, clearly state any changes you wish to implement within those positions or roles if applicable and how you wish to grow the department in the coming year.
- For example, you can discuss potential market research or polling you are interested in pursuing and how best you would go about that as well as your plans of re-building Laurier Student Poll
Applications for this position will be due on Friday, September 3 at 11:59 p.m. We appreciate and will review all applications, but please note that only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.*
If the position is still vacant after the first hiring period concludes, applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Upon applying for the position, if successful, you will be contacted by Brit Kovacs, the President and Publisher, to set an interview date/time.
WLUSP is committed to preserving an inclusive and barrier-free work environment. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005). We welcome and encourage applications from people of all abilities. Unfortunately, our offices contain inaccessible infrastructure such as stairs, however, accommodations will be made whenever reasonably possible. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 226-606-7540 if you require accommodations during the hiring process.